Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Progress


I have not posted for months but felt I should today. This is a photo of a sign on my neighbour's lawn. I've had quite a few inquiries about this as I live in Canada and it is a U.S. election sign. My neighbour, however, is American and favours Mr. Obama. In truth, so do I. I am a news junkie so I stayed up late last night to watch the election. By the time Mr. Obama arrived at Grant Park, it was just my daughter and I sitting on the couch to witness this historic event. I am hopeful he will be a better President than the last.

Segregation was alive and well the year I was born. I was raised in a fairly white-bread neighbourhood and it didn't seem out of place to tell an off-colour joke involving race, religion or sexual orientation. As I got older, I learned the errors of my ways and the hurt that can be caused by even the smallest of prejudices. I am now raising my children in an urban area that is a melting pot of cultures and colours and it is a whole new world than the one I was born to.

I still harbour some prejudices, but only towards assholes.

No comments: